The Hitman series has always been known for its deep, involving single player set piece but the developers working on the Absolution installment are saying that they also plan to do something interesting with the multiplayer component.

Speaking to Eurogamer at the expo event they have just concluded Hakan Abrak, who is a producer working at IO Interactive on Hitman Absolution, has stated, �I want to say we do have something very, very interesting coming up in Hitman: Absolution on the online side. We�re not ready to talk about it right now. Hitman is an assassin who works alone, but you never know in what form or in what way we could give you an online experience.�

He added, �It�s unfortunately not something I can talk about right now, but I can say, in the story part, Agent 47 definitely works alone.�

This means that no cooperative gameplay mode is being planned but the online hints could mean that IO Interactive is creating a mode that might not necessarily star Agent 47 but will definitely sit inside the game universe, using the mechanics that have become essential to the series.

A multiplayer experience could be similar to how Assassin's Creed took Ezio out of the multiplayer equation and allowed players to essentially engage in a deadly game of hide and seek, using rooftops and the city to get the drop on the other players.

The Hitman games have focused on infiltration and stealth and a number of agents other than 47 could be sent to take out the same target with the one who does it stealthily and quickly winning a round.

Hitman Absolution will be published by Square Enix and is set to be launched at some point during 2012 on the Xbox 360 from Microsoft, the PlayStation 3 from Sony and the PC.