Quote Originally Posted by VentureBeat
Omeda Studios has raised $2.2 million to create a cross-platform third-person multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game called Predecessor. The game is based on the assets of Epic Games’ Paragon MOBA title.

Paragon was Epic’s attempt to join the MOBA market that Riot Games’ League of Legends help create. But it never succeeded in pulling players from that game, and the enormous success of Epic’s Fortnite’s battle royale mode overshadowed Paragon. Epic canceled it in January 2018.

One of the people who was devastated by Paragon’s cancellation was streamer Robbie Singh, an influencer who had a following of 50,000 people who watched his streams about Paragon. After Epic shut the game, it decided to make the assets of Paragon available to other developers in July 2018.

“I was getting bombarded by people in my community on my YouTube or my Twitter because it left a hole in our hearts,” Singh said. “We were really upset we couldn’t play this game with our friends anymore. When they released the assets, we decided we were going to try to re-create this feeling that Paragon gave us, but in a way we wanted to build the game.”

Singh decided to rally his community and form a team to pick up where Epic left off. Singh started the company in January 2020 with Andrea Garella and Steven Meilleur. Omeda Studios was born (with a name that spells “a demo” backwards), and it went to work on Predecessor. The team has a dozen people , and it received an Epic Games Megagrant to work on the game. It has staged an alpha test and expects to ship an early access version this year and a finished game next year.
Omeda raises $2.2M to relaunch Epic's dead Paragon as Predecessor | VentureBeat
Predecessor gameplay:

Predecessor on Steam