Watch Dogs: Legion Online shows how empty an open world can feel

There’s not a lot to do, and not much reason for doing it

I’d been hoping that Watch Dogs: Legion Online would launch this week with a greater sense of purpose than I’d seen in a preview of the mode two months ago. But it hasn’t, really. If anything has changed since January, it’s my realization at just how empty an open-world multiplayer experience is when only three other players can join it.

Ubisoft Toronto promises there will be more to do in a couple of weeks, which includes another PvP mode and some additional cooperative missions. But for me, the sticking point with Watch Dogs: Legion Online is that whenever I boot into a free-roam of London, the pool of potential teammates is three, and that’s it.

It’s not that the mode’s chaotic co-op slugfests need any more bodies. But with only four players to an instance, pretty much everyone needs to be there for the same activity, which is usually a five-chapter team job that takes less than an hour to finish. With Watch Dogs: Legion Online’s progression, currency, cosmetics, and roster of operatives all separate from the main single-player game, there’s not much reason to grind the solo tasks in the open world, either. Anything I gain from doing them stays in the online component.

https://www.polygon.com/22328139/wat...rogression-dlc