Quote Originally Posted by IGN
Well here we are again. I could copy and paste my review like last year, but unlike some of the folks at EA I don’t take much satisfaction in reusing material.

For the THIRD year in a row, EA Sports has released a virtually unchanged edition of FIFA onto the Nintendo Switch.

As stated on the game’s official website, “FIFA 22 Legacy Edition will feature the same gameplay innovation from FIFA 21 without any new development or significant enhancements.”

As a reminder, here’s what was written there for last year’s game: “FIFA 21 Legacy Edition will feature the same gameplay innovation from FIFA 20 without any new development or significant enhancements.”

Oh, and the year before: “FIFA 20 Legacy Edition will feature the same gameplay innovation from FIFA 19 without any new development or significant enhancements.”

And let me remind you that FIFA 19 on Switch wasn’t exactly great in the first place…

So that’s three years in a row where all that has been added each time are squad updates, new kits, broadcast packages and menu screens. No genuine attempt has been made to deliver an improved product, in any tangible way whatsoever, and FIFA on Switch really is just plain insulting at this point (if it wasn’t already, which it definitely was).

There is some good news, if you can call it that. You’ll only be getting ripped off for £34.99/$39.99 this year compared to the £44.99/$49.99 previously. Honestly, if you want a less than mediocre football game for your Switch and haven’t bought FIFA in the past four years then maybe you’ll find something to enjoy here. I, though, happen to find the whole affair to be sad, joyless, and a shining example of capitalism at its worst. What could surely at this point be a low-cost downloadable update is instead presented as an expensive, cynical money grab.

EA, please stop this.

Verdict

FIFA 22 on Switch is the latest example of little to no respect being paid towards a fanbase being asked to pay a premium price for a virtually unchanged product. It’s just not good enough.

FIFA 22 Legacy Edition (Switch) Review