Gaming Everything � Blog Archive � New Dark Souls II details

A new round of Dark Souls II details were provided in this week�s issue of Famitsu. The tidbits come from supervisor Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Read on below for information confirming the exclusion of superfluous DLC, Dark Souls II�s connection to the original game, and more.

- Extra indivudal item/parts won�t be sold as a fee through DLC
- Miyazaki is the game�s supervisor
- Miyazaki is mainly overseeing development and he�ll get development back on track if necessary
- Miyazaki feels Dark Souls has great potential and doesn�t want to keep the series trapped in a narrow frame
- Shibuya will be left to do his own thing with Dark Souls II as much as possible
- VGA trailer not comprised of in-game footage
- Dark Souls/Dark Souls II share the same worldview
- Dark Souls II�s story won�t necessarily be related to the original
- Dark Souls II takes place in a different time period
- Keyword is time
- Changed game-engine
- Team going after photo-realism
- Movement to be improved
- Considering having players directly get involved with each other
+

Dark Souls 2 dev talks dedicated servers, protecting �core� features | VG247

Dark Souls 2 development is being overseen by the previous game�s director Hidetaka Miyazaki, and he has revealed From Software�s approach to the sequel in a new interview features in this week�s issue of Famitsu. We reported on some of the article�s key facts earlier today, but now Polygon has translated Miyazaki�s full quotes.

Polygon reports that Miyazaki feels there is a core to what makes Dark Souls 2 a �Dark Souls� game, and has assured fans that these fundamental ingredients will be preserved by the game�s new co-directors Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura.

Miyazaki said, �If we�re going to announce this as a sequel to Dark Souls then I think there�s certainly a core that we need to protect. I�m talking about how we think about the difficulty level and how you achieve things in-game; about the concepts behind the mechanics and level design.

�Outside of that core, though, I think it�s better to leave things to the discretion of the director. There�s a lot around that core that we need to fix or adjust, besides, and individual touches always tend to come out in the world setting and artwork, so I�m not meddling in that very much.�

Responding to a question about the game�s setting, Shibuya chipped in, �I can�t completely answer this question, but the two settings are connected, yes. However, I wouldn�t say there�s a direct connection as far as story is concerned. The game is set in a different part of the same planet � to put it another way, if the first game was set in the North Pole, this one would be in the South Pole; that sort of contrast.

��Time� is one of the central keywords we�re keeping in mind as we create this. I can�t give concrete details about this yet, so hopefully you�ll be able to use your imagination for now.�

On the issue of Dark Souls 2′s dedicated servers, Shibuya continued, �Setting up a dedicated server lets you retain your data, making it easier to share it with other players. We�d like to evolve the asynchronous message-oriented online support from the previous game; we�re imagining a framework where players are able to directly interact with each other.

Miyazaki added, �I think having dedicated game servers will be the source of a lot of new potential in Dark Souls 2. There was a lot with the original Dark Souls I wish I could have done if we had the ability to have those serviers, so in that way I�m pretty jealous of the new director here.

�I think the concept behind online play in Demon�s Souls and Dark Souls was pretty plain to gamers, so I�m hoping we can evolve on that concept here without removing ourselves too far from it.�