Ubisoft's Michel Ancel, the creative director of the French publisher and the man behind the cult classic Beyond Good & Evil, has admitted that fans won't see a sequel appear at least on current generation consoles, largely because of the high quality vision the company has for it.

Beyond Good & Evil impressed many gamers when it was first released back in 2003, and even more this year, when it was re-released, remastered in high definition, for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Now, as you can imagine, talks about a sequel have started heating up, especially since Ubisoft confirmed that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still happening. Ubisoft's Michel Ancel, however, isn't too sure about the game appearing for current generation devices.

The Ubisoft executive revealed that the studio has been "working on it for a long time" and quite a few technical issues arose, largely because it wants to deliver a very high quality experience.

"It's a complex game. The first Beyond Good & Evil, when I sent the technical document to Sony, it was the time of the Emotion Engine on the PlayStation 2. We had the feeling that we could do whatever we wanted. We sent them the document, it was about planets, going from planet to planet, towns to towns and all these things. But in the end, what we were really about to do was far less than what we wanted," he said.

Beyond Good & Evil has always emphasized exploration, and Ancel wants the sequel to deliver a truly vast world.

"And of course, the scope of Beyond Good & Evil is large - you've got the city, the ocean, the moon and the space ship... And my thing is that we really want to make the game that was previously imagined, with all this feeling of travelling. Mass Effect did a good job on that side, and I think that there are a lot of things to do to continue in that direction, with storytelling and a massive world," he added.

After highlighting these wishes, Ancel admitted that consoles like the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 aren't powerful enough to deliver them, feeling echoed by Ubisoft as a whole earlier this year.

Thankfully, the more powerful Nintendo Wii U is expected in 2012, as are announcements concerning the PlayStation 4 or Xbox 720, so Beyond Good & Evil 2 might not be too far away.