Hello everyone.

After some help really, as I want to know what console game I had in the early 1980's but I can't remember to save my life. I can remember the gameplay and the physical appearance of the game but that's it. I'm living in the UK by the way. I've tried googling it, "old console games, obscure 1980's games etc" but no joy.

Physical appearance: The unit itself was similar in size/format to "Astro Wars" or "Zaxxon" - (think Commodore PET but much smaller - maybe 8 inches wide/tall/deep) and you won't be too far off, with a display made up of a grid of red dots/lights on a black background. Just like those two games I've mentioned, it only played the one game - this wasn't something you could put cartridges into - it was one unit, one game. The dots represented sectors in space. I'm not sure but the grid may have been 16 x 16 or possibly 8 x 8.

Beneath the display was pressure sensitive pad (it didn't have physical buttons) much like the ones on the "Bigtrak" toys with various actions for moving, firing etc (once again in a grid).

Gameplay: The premise was that you were a starfighter and you had to seek and destroy enemy spaceships, using the display grid, each of which had a red light either lit or unlit. If it was lit, it meant there was an asteroid{?) or enemy ship there, but I think you had to locate the enemy ships first. I remember that one way of locating them was to look for any dots that changed position from one turn to the next. Maybe the grid was broken down into quadrants and you could "sweep" each quadrant for enemies, but I'm not sure how this worked.

I remember that when the game started there was a loud klaxxon noise and you were "scrambled" to your space ship. Like I say, the only display was the grid. No video display as such.

I think as well that the game had human speech samples but I could be wrong.

Well that's about as much as I can remember, but its really bugging me as I'll know the name as soon as I hear it.

---------- Post added 12-04-2012 at 12:13 PM ----------

Typical. After weeks of hair pulling I put the question on a forum, and hours later I find out the info myself.

For anyone I interested, it was the "Star Wars Electronic Battle Command" game.

Wow.