Your post count prohibits you from posting new replies in this forum!
Users with less than 1 posts cannot reply to threads here. Your post count is currently . You need to post first in the Intro thread.

Thread: User Review: Duke Nukem Forever

1. #1 SP
    sam

User Review: Duke Nukem Forever

Review: Duke Nukem Forever
    This is my Review of the Duke Nukem Forever
    From the outset this has been a long wait to finally get my hands on this , & i have to say it delivers right from the start, the details on the 'new game' screen draw you in, the flag for instance.. it looks real with all the stiches that give it a warm feeling, and the model of duke standing there looks great. I like how the screen goes blurry every few seconds. After afew tweaks in the Options menu i go into the game with massive antisipation. After that scene showing duke3d's accomplishments i was blown away and wanted nothing more than to kick some ass*. After Jon St Jon's speech (that was great by the way) "Time to stop pissin' around & get get this big guy back into action"! i took the longest piss possible & enjoyed duke's speech "whoa that waters cold' deep too", i immediatly began soaking in the gorgeous graphics, the shadows & lighting of the bathroom.

Everything seemed flawless, i then realized after looking into the mirror that you could'nt admire yourself.. a little dissapointment i might add, but noticing the spa's i realized just what Davox is doing with his stadium duke3d map build and was glad to see that he put in a good effort copying this room Yeah the "telekenetics" for using the taps and the hand dryers was a bit stupid, but i overlooked that as i remember seing the same thing way back playing Prey*. Although to be realistic when the sink is full of water it should overflow to the floor but it didnt. funny how we let some things slide but not others hey.

After picking up a piece of poop & flinging it about for over 15 minutes and laughing so hard i forget about little flaws and just smile.
    dukes liners' "a turd in the hand is worth two in the bush & now what? **** fingerpainting" had me in stiches laughing so hard...

the area ahead was fun too, the EDF soldiers "walk" is rather hilarious as they fast walk off to fight the cycloid.. i pick up the marker and draw a thanks to Gearbox the one ive posted here the first time i played through. And then knowing full well id get to fight the Cycloid i was so happy, ive wanted this since i saw it way back in the early PAX videos.. the thing i dont get as yet, is why the edf soldiers on the ground or laying on the couches seem dead but it doesnt feel right shouldnt they have blood around them or something? if they are alive then it dont feel like it. And the annoying guy talking in Repeats is a pain as you try to consentrate drawing on the board.

The music here feels really Cinematic, and fits the gameplay & visuals well. I kinda have a little gripe here, when you first see the assault troopers.. you cant get to them and kill them.. the next two around the other corner though i managed to kill one with a swift punch in the head after running as fast as i could to beat the EDF to the task. HERE is the only chance to kill a trooper in the demo! that was dissapointing as i really wanted to smack about some trooper bitches.

After punching out all the crates i was abit annoyed to not find Anything! but i began to realise the link between the EDF and the Pigs.. so freakin cool how they go from useless allies to meanacing enemies.. Now up & into the Stadium to battle the Legendary Cycloid Emperor! THE BEST 5 MINUTES OF MY LIFE.
    The effects here were breathtaking, the rain, smoke, atmosphere the cycloid, ah the memories of duke nukem 3d return as the nostagia sets in for me. blowing off chunks of his armor with the Devastator i cripple the alien & watch the spectacle of him collapsing to the grass.. Then after much much time spent running around the field with out the fear of death taking in all the eye candy i could i kick a field goal with the cycloid's eyeball.. just like old times. i couldnt flaw the stadium in any way so i cannot be much of a critic here Haha the Debby does Donuts' sign was a good sign of gearbox's piss taking to come in the Full Version*.

Next level, And i'm transported into my mighty foot monster truck! **** YEAH! This was a brilliant flowing piece of gameplay that had me forget all about nitpicking and just enjoying running over pigcops @ over 60Miles an hour...
    the controls were fluid and great, even when i thought id tip the truck over it managed to find itself upright again. the slogan's that cover the truck are a crack up to Ok, so ive been praising this demo for the most part so far but hey, its Goooood
    Now out of the truck, i play with my gun for abit, shooting anything just to see the reload animations.. the pistol is so darn detailed it's off tap.

Now the run up to the Rail Gun, Nice.. grabbing it i instantly felt supirior over the aliens. now this gun will be great in multiplayer! as i take out the gun emplaced pigcop in the distance by shooting him straight through the rock formations.. Oh Yeah. now for the Main bulk of the rest of the demo i was impressed, the graphics were nice and felt very real. fighting the pigcops was very nice gameplay with tons of strategies that you can take to take them down. Either shoot them with your railgun, throw a pipebomb or two, use the beer can to become tougher & punch them in the face, Even use the Holoduke to distract the tough armoured ones so you can flank them with your Railgun or shotgun @ point blank range to the back of the head, legs arms etc. Decapitations felt satisfying, with the use of the trusty Shotgun... & then using my sidearm to pop afew well aimed shots into the Cadavers neck to see bloody bulletholes and nice bits of blood splat the screen... eeew Only that shooting in the chest area didint produce the same effects THIS was dissapointing.

i enjoyed the battle with the alien ship, only the death animation of it sucked big time. why? there wasn't one at all that's why. I believe that the full game will do one better. Also, i rellay liked the music here.. felt old skool duke to me... you know, the little electric guitar piece while your fighting the alien ship..? hard to explain it goes like ddd whahhhhh ddddd dhahhhhhhh..

Now into the mines & great look & feel inside here i admit. the one thing i have to complain about here is this, i enter the mine, then it goes dark & you get into this Suspense feeling.. you turn one corner after the next to GET THIS "not find a single alien come out in the shadows to freak ya out".. i would've appreciated seing red glowing eyes of an angry pigcop coming out of the dark to jump at you with fury... But i get over it & follow the mine til i reach the cart, it took afew minutes to register that i had to throw out those barrels first before pushing the cart but that was just good puzzle solving elements at its finest*.

Now the final push, and those little pregnators are a bitch to kill without getting one either trying to cum on your face or grab you and fling it's **** at you... LOL To wrap it up, the "indiana jones" style mine cart race thing was a nice little finish, that delivers you back to your truck. The end is basic as though, and i was expecting a far more climactic end to the demo as you only have to kill two pigcops and then refill you trucks tank with fuel then hop back into the truck to end the demo.. i mean geesh, some kind of pretty ending to the demo woud've been more exciting to me, But i still enjoyed the experience none the less.

Story:10/8.5
    Graphics 10/8
    Gameplay 10/7.5
    Sound 10/9

Screenshots
    Attached Images Attached Images 14e.jpg dnfshot_sep08_2.jpg duke-nukem-vegas-screenshots-05.jpg 49870_dukenukemforever-screenshot-19.jpg duke-nukem-forever-screenshot-brain-squid-dam.jpg lezanta1.jpg 169ratio_dukehead2_withblood_brighter_copy.jpg 1295633423.jpg dukenukemukpreorder.jpg

Your post count prohibits you from posting new replies in this forum!
Users with less than 1 posts cannot reply to threads here. Your post count is currently . You need to post first in the Intro thread.