Quote Originally Posted by GameSpot
[...] When asked how much of Elden Ring he had seen, Spencer told GameSpot's Tamoor Hussain, "I've seen actually quite a bit. I've played quite a bit."

While Spencer can't say too much, he gave us enough to set the hype high. "As somebody who's played all of Miyazaki's games over at least the last decade, this is clearly the most ambitious game that he's done," he says. "I mean, I love his games, but seeing some of the gameplay mechanics stuff that he's tackling, he and the team are tackling this time, of the setting, working with another creator in terms of story. I love it."

The other creator Spencer mentions is, of course, Game of Thrones author George R. R. Martin, who has worked on the story for the upcoming open world game. It's also supposedly going to have more open-ended areas than is typical in a From Software game. They typically have branching paths, but use a series of passages and locked doors to guide your progress.

According to Spencer, Elden Ring is Miyazaki "expanding his horizons." He also says that leaves the room while Spencer plays. "I think that's because I'm a bad player, and then when he comes back we'll have a conversation about things that I think," he says. "He's so passionate about what he does. It's one of the things I just love about getting to work with him on some of these games and seeing them come to our platform." [...]
Phil Spencer Has Played "Quite A Bit" Of Elden Ring, Calls It Miyazaki's "Most Ambitious Game" - GameSpot